We’re more than two weeks into Black History Month but there’s still plenty of ways to celebrate, support, and reflect on the achievements, accomplishments, and contributions of the black community in Pittsburgh and beyond! Keep reading for events, businesses, resources, and much more.
Join the Conversation
From virtual lectures to in-person panels there are several opportunities over the next few weeks to listen in and discuss the experiences of the black community in Pittsburgh, learn how to help to make change in regards to social injustice, hear from the pioneers on real issues, and much more. Below is a list of events happening the remainder of this month:
- Black & Jewish Histories of the Hill District | Repair the World
- Panel: Dating While Black | Pan-African Graduate & Professional Student Association at Pitt
- Praying into Antiracism, Presented by Stephen Calme, PHD | Carlow University Social Justice Institute
- Student Black History Month Summit | Stop the Violence Pittsburgh
- We Speak Series: Kids Breaking Barrier Panel | Pittsburgh Penguins
- YWCA Action Conversations on Race: COVID-19 and Racialized Health Disparities | YWCA Greater Pittsburgh
Film, Art, Music, Comedy, and Magic
Enjoy the sounds of Jazz legends, witness the art and film inspired by unique experiences, and revel in the joy of laughter, and marvel at the magic of black unheard voices this month at these exhibits, live music performances, comedy shows, and films:
- 4 -Yaadi | Greer Cabaret Theater
- The Sleeping Negro | Harris Theater
- Danny Simmons: Selected Works Exhibition Reception and Poetry Reading | The August Wilson African American Cultural Center
- From Slavery to Freedom Film Series: Blood Brothers: Malcolm X and Muhammad Ali | Heinz History Center
- Heart & Soul: Live Music & Wine Tasting | Hazelwood Local
- Melanin 2.0 Variety Show | There Ultra Lounge
- Real Pittsburgh Stories: Bein’ Black N’at | Arcade Comedy Theater
- Dwayne Dolphin | Greer Cabaret Theater
- Soul Sessions: Stephanie Mills | The August Wilson African American Cultural Center
- Eric Jones in IMMACULATE DECEPTION | Liberty Magic
- BRAIN BONE BLOOD | 707 Gallery
Buy Black, Support Black!
For a regularly updated listing of black owned businesses in the Pittsburgh area look no further than Black Owned PGH, an Instagram based page that consistently highlights black owned businesses in the 412 region. Learn more about the page’s creator and owner, Kyley Coleman, and some of the businesses she has shed a light on in our article from this time last year. Also check out our round up of Black owned businesses offering health and wellness services, and our most recent edition of Black owned restaurants.
Discover Pittsburgh’s Black Historic Sites
Visit Pittsburgh and the Pittsburgh Post Gazette partnered to create an interactive map of several Black historic sites in the Pittsburgh area and beyond. Use the map and journey through more than 200 years of the Black experience in Southwestern PA. Find the map and more information about it’s creation at visitpittsburgh.com.This content was provided by a local, independent contributor to Made in PGH, a lifestyle blog.