Looking to dip your toes in the houseplant world? Having trouble keeping your potted friends alive for more than a week? The Trax Farms and Made In PGH team are here to help you decide what plant would be best for you and your space!
What plants Trax Farms carries + low maintenance houseplants
Trax Farms has an overflowing houseplant section that has a little something for everyone, but if you’re just entering the houseplant world and looking to be pointed in the right direction, we have a few recommendations we’d say most beginner plant owners can manage (again, we said most lol):
- ZZ Plant
- Cacti & Succulents
Now that you have the plants, let us help you with the products.
- Trax Farms offers a wide selection of colors and sizes but keep in mind that:
- Drainage holes – you need them.
- Don’t go too big when it comes to pot size. Size does matter! Only go up about 1 pot size of what the plant is currently in.
- When it comes to vines, check out our macramé hanging options which will free up more space in your home!
Indoor Plant Potting Soil (Sold at Trax Farms)
- You may think any potting soil will be okay, but trust us, your plants will thank you in the long run.
- Trax offers specific soils for:
- African Violets
- Cacti/Succulents/Citrus (Covers all three)
- To give your plants the best start and promote healthy growth, a fertilizer is a must!
- Trax typically carries:
- All-purpose indoor plant fertilizer
- Cactus and Succulent fertilizer
- Orchid fertilizer
- African Violet fertilizer
And then there are the bugs…
- For the inevitable pests, we suggest:
- Neem oil which controls aphids, whitefly, spider mites, and powdery mildew
- Captain Jack’s Deadbug which controls spider mites, thrips, and more
- Rose RX is an insecticide, fungicide, and miticide all in one
- Fun fact! All of these products are organic!
Light & water – The 2 most important concepts
Now you have all of the parts that you need, this last step is all up to you!
- Know your lighting!
- Trax staff is always more than happy to help you figure out how much light your specific plant needs, but generally speaking most houseplants want bright, indirect light.
- Don’t overwater your plants!
- Again, Trax is always more than happy to help, but if you’re looking for a handy dandy tool to assist you at home, they offer a Rapitest Mini 4-in-1 Soil Tester! This device helps to gauge watering and light requirements, soil pH preferences, and fertilizer content. Just remember, when in doubt less is more.
Avid houseplant lovers
For those of you who are houseplant connoisseurs or someone looking for the “it” plant that all of your planty friends will envy, we’ve been able to score some “must-have” houseplants! Our availability changes every week, and they are limited supply, but here are a few of our most recent additions.
Rare Hoya varieties
Philodendron Florida Green
Philodendron Bob Cee
Philodendron Green Dragon
Philodendron Golden Dragon
Philodendron Painted Lady
Venture on out to Trax Farms and get lost in their houseplant section, we promise you won’t be disappointed!This content was provided by a local, independent contributor to Made in PGH, a lifestyle blog.