Although COVID-19 cases have been rapidly declining in Allegheny County thanks to the vaccine, it’s still important to remember that the pandemic is not quite over yet. Plus, many countries have begun opening their borders to tourists that have proof of negative Covid-19 testing results.
Fortunately, GS Labs has popped up nationwide to provide rapid COVID testing as well as antibody and COVID PCR testing. Over the last year, GS Labs has opened 27 testing sites that have provided 2,275+ jobs throughout the country. Their effortless, super safe, and simple process provides both peace of mind and test results in under 20 minutes!
Beyond just COVID-19 results, GS Labs provides Antibody tests and a COVID PCR test at the same appointment. Antigen tests can be used for screening testing in high-risk congregate settings in which repeat testing could quickly identify persons with a SARS-CoV-2 infection to inform infection prevention and control measures, thus preventing transmission! The PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction) test detects RNA (or genetic material) that is specific to the SARS-CoV-2 virus and can detect the virus within days of infection, even those who have no symptoms which are ideal for those recently exposed to a carrier.
“We recognize that the sensitivity of CareStart Rapid Antigen test is 88 percent, so to fill that gap we also run PCR tests at our locations to ensure our patients can get the most accurate results,” Dr. Jackson, Medical Director of GS Labs said. “We do both because the PCR takes a couple of days to get the results. If you’re positive, you’re positive. So if you test positive on the rapid test, you’re creating a safer space for the community by taking precautions as soon as possible.”
While the antibody test is not needed as frequently, it is a test that GS Labs uses alongside the Rapid Antigen and PCR test to help keep track of each patient’s entire clinical picture. This allows the treating physician to guide management with that patient.
Made in PGH spent a quick afternoon at the GS Labs on McKnight Road to walk you through this incredibly easy experience!
Step-by-Step at GS Labs
- Book your appointment easily online! – If you’re feeling sick and experiencing symptoms like fever, shortness of breath, or lack of smell and taste just head to their online portal to book a nearby appointment at a local GS Lab. They offer slots EVERY THREE MINUTES which makes it a no-brainer so you’re not waiting around for your test while feeling crummy.
- Pull up to your designated parking spot – It’s no secret that sitting in a doctor’s office or the waiting room while you feel sick is the absolute worst experience. At GS Labs, you can relax in your own car (I was listening to my favorite podcast!) as the nurses geared up in their protective equipment to meet me outside. Just turn on your hazard lights and a staff member will come out to help you check in and take your information. Don’t forget your ID and insurance card!
- Take a Rapid COVID-19 and PCR test– As you might have guessed, the COVID-19 test came first. It was a simple nose swab in each nostril. Don’t stress– this swab didn’t hurt at all, I was certainly worried about early-COVID testing days when the swab practically reached your brain!
- Take an antibody test– This rapid test is administered by a slight finger-prick and collection of a blood sample. Antigen tests are an important tool in the overall response against COVID-19 and benefit public health. One of the main advantages of an antigen test is the speed of the test, which can provide results in minutes. The availability of these types of tests may provide the ability to test millions of Americans rapidly!
- Expect results in 20 minutes! – Ditch the waiting game at GS Labs! All of their testing is extremely simple and results are provided via email in under 20 minutes. That means you can immediately head back home to the comfort of your couch! These results will also allow you to travel internationally after you’re proven negative!
The COVID-19 pandemic has been daunting enough. GS Labs has made getting tested so much easier. We hope that walking you through the experience provides some comfort so you don’t have to worry about a single thing if you were ever to catch the coronavirus!
GS Labs has three locations in the Pittsburgh area: McCandless, Upper Saint Clair, and Monroeville. For more information on rapid testing contact firstname.lastname@example.org or book your appointment online!This content was provided by a local, independent contributor to Made in PGH, a lifestyle blog.